Wednesday, March 30, 2016

In search for caffeine

So I forgot my caffeine pill before gym...


With life going on around me I can't really schedule my gym sessions in advance. Today I went there without having breakfast. That meant I needed to find some source of energy. 


My go-to supplement is caffeine pills and in the rush to get to the gym and have time to perform a solid workout I left home without taking any.

Damn! I entered the gym and went straight to the desk where the staff were. 
"- Do you have anything with caffeine in it? Lots of it?!"

I felt like an alcoholic walking into the bar where he is a regular and just straightforward say: 

"- Hit me!" and the bartender would pour a shot straight away.

So the girl at the desk seemed a bit confused by the situation. But she recommended some pre-workout shot that they had on the counter right beside me. 

It had caffeine, the same amount that my pills have. It also contained beta-alanin and L-arginin plus some vitamins. It was like orange juice basically.

There was a long time ago since I had any pre-workout with beta-alanin and those products are not on the market anymore. Everything that was good back in the day has been banned out and replaced by new formulas. 

I remembered the old ones and remembered the itches that beta-alanin gave me. I did have a totally empty stomach which made me a bit hesitant. "This might hit me hard"

So I drank the shot and went to the dressing room. 


I started working out. Waiting for the effect to start.


I kept on working out for quite some time since I was expecting the shot to hit me after a while. Most pre-workout products are recommended to be had about 30 minutes before the workout session. 


I never felt any itching. Like at all. 


Considering the empty stomach I was expecting a lot more from the supplement. Now basically I just paid 100 times the price of my caffeine pill for the same effect. 


The workout session itself


I went in with a great feeling, even though lacking energy to begin with. I was at the gym, the weights were in front of me just waiting to be picked up. 

I went for some shoulders, chest, triceps and biceps exercises today. I have been doing a lot of active stuff the last couple of days, like building a damn roof. So I felt that my back had been active lifting wodden boards and shit. 

For the shoulders I did the dumbbell raises (the exercises can be found in the "Gym Exercises" page under the banner at the top of the blog.) I did some military presses with a barbell as well. I used a rope in the cable-cross for some "face pulls" to round off the shoulder exercises.

When it comes to the chest I did some incline presses in a machine that I loaded weight plates. In the cable-cross I did some "cable standing flys" as well. 

Triceps were pushdowns with a bar and pulldowns with a rope. The biceps were barbells and dumbbells that I did in between the other exercises. 

During the entire session I had a high tempo between exercises which kept my puls up and gave me some free cardiovascular exercise I suppose. 
When going to the gym alone it is hard not to switch too fast between the exercises since you don't get that natural rest from watching your friend performing his sets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment