Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Steam Greenlight - a crowded place

Steam Greenlight - hope and dreams


This is the part of Steam that was created due to the big amount of indie games being created. I have read that it basically is because that Valve themselves did not have time/energy to check out all of these games themselves. 
So they decided to involve the community. So the users themselves get to vote for the different games applying for Greenlight.

From time to time, a bunch of games are greenlit. And it is a number between 50 and 100 that gets to move on into the Steam community. That is the top games on the Greenlight ranks. So then the quene moves on. 
But still. There are a looot of games in this Greenlight system. At any given time, I read that there are around 1500 games. That is 1500 hopes and dreams being up for review.

There seems to be a popularity contest. But if I understood it correctly, the negative reviews won't really matter in the end. The number of "yes" votes will determine if your game will get Greenlit or not. 
If that's the case. Then all advertisement is good advertisement. Since for every "no" there should be a few "yes".

One thing that appears very strange to me is this. You are not allowed to upload a demo of your game to the Greenlight system. How are people supposed to judge your game if they are not allowed to play it?!
You have to feel the same way. Sure, the system is built like it is. You get to see pictures and videos of the games. But with people complaining about it, can't Valve change the rules?
Allow demos to be posted. That would benefit them a great deal since it would be more accurate. Better games would get greenlit and that would benefit them in the long run.

I think it is amazing that there is such a boom with indie games. I think it has a certain charm to it. They feel special because of the hard work that these developers has put into their own projects. 
Far away from all the giant studios with unlimited amounts of cash to finance every detail in the games.

My hopes are that Valve vill develop this Greenlight scene further or that the other places for indie developers grow. Because at this time. To reach the general public, I'd say that Steam is the place to be.
I am starting to understand that there are other places to find these games. But before I looked into it, I had no idea. So my question is, why would the general public know more than I did?
The indie scene deserves more attention. Lets hope that this development with great indie games continue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment