Sunday, August 9, 2015

I remember Goldeneye 64

The FPS-genre on consoles changed with Goldeneye 64. Free-roaming 3D levels in a single player campaign and the multiplayer deathmatch mode in the same game.
It was released back in 1997 on Nintendo 64. Which makes it a legendary memory for some people like myself. To some though, that was barely born when that was released, it is just a piece of history like when your dad talks about the time before the Internet.



I watched the Goldeneye movie first and then the next day I started to play the game. I did not read the instructions and objectives on the different missions. I just played straight from my memory, what did he do in the movie?
Sometimes it got a bit confusing. Of course the game were similar to the movie but some missions were really not like the movie. I remember the third mission. I was supposed to escape from the russian facility where the movie starts.
In the movie he just runs, uses a motorcycle and then dives after a plane. In the game however the runway is filled with enemies and I can use a tank!

The multiplayer part of the game was so damn fun to play with friends. It was in a splitscreen so you could always see where your opponents were hiding. But in some weird way you got so focused on your part of the screen that you could actually play against each other without "cheating". But hey, since all players can see each other it is the same for everyone.

This is from the second mission where you infiltrate the facility together with 006. 




No comments:

Post a Comment