Monday, November 9, 2015

Racing games affects real life

Our driving is influenced by video games


No I don't mean that people are prone to drive like mad men after playing video games.
I am saying tvat the mechanics in the video games today are so realistic that it helps. Using the correct set of options in some games they become more like racing simulators than just flashy games. 

If you drive in real life and need to take a turn at high speed, having done it in video games gives you an idea on what to do. 
Everyone that have played racing games have been crashing when miscalculating the speed when approaching a turn. 
Doing these mistakes in the video games allows you to test the limits without having to suffer injuries in real life.

Like anything else in life though. You never know how you react in certain situations before you experience them. No matter how much you practice it in a classroom or so, you can never know... But chances are that in the back of your head, your mind makes a connection saying I recognize this situation and is helped by that when making quick decisions.
It could be such a quick process that you are not even aware of it being done.

Sometimes the rules in the traffic says different than your average racing game though. When preparing for a left turn in a game you probably go towards the right side of the road to be able to turn at a higher speed.
In real life that is not quite working since you might fool other people and cause an accident. But I suppose that this example is not viable in terms of comparing driving to video games since it is not the driving but the rules of traffic that it is concerning. 
I did however run into this problem myself when I started to drive. I automatically went a bit to the right when I was going for a left turn. 
There was no need for it, but I had it subconsciously - to make the best turn possible, this is how I do it.

Things like shifting down to get better response in the control over your car is something I have been using a lot over the years when I played video games. I am playing with automatic shifting but when breaking the car automatically gears down and then I can just press the "pedal to the metal" and turn to get a stronger turning motion.

 When going really fast and you are more or less driving on instinct. Your eyes are scanning the enviroment, focusing on any movement or objects that are not suppose to be there. 
I can relate to that. This is the reason why racing games is hard on the eyes. Since you are driving with such speed, you have to focus really hard on the screen to be able to pick up on the details and having the chance to react to them. And watching a screen that intensely is tough.

Driving in the dark when you constantly meet cars from the opposite direction can be tough when you are not used to it. Before your eyes learn how to look not to get too affected by the blinding light. 
It was during one of these drives that the idea to this post struck me. Well that and the fact that I was having a conversation about taking a drivers license. 

So, I figure. Does your kids want to play racing games? Cool. Might be useful. I mean, honestly. Wouldn't you rather have your child play a racing game instead of a game where they are shooting human beings?


No comments:

Post a Comment