Monday, January 25, 2016

Nintendo, oh Nintendo

Nintendo, my old favorite company





Today, I would call my younger self a fanboy. I had my Nintendo machines and those were the ones I played a lot and was any good at.

The competitors were Sega and Play Station during different points in time.

At first there was the old Nintendo NES. 8-bit of wonderful graphics. 

Super Mario jumping around, playing golf and driving boats. In todays standards, it would basically just look like a screen full of blocks. But the lack of graphics was no problem, my imagination fixed everything. So it actually felt like I could handle Mario in a way that those few keys should make possible.

There was a small store that sold and repaired these consols in the city where I grew up. Since there was no Internet available, the only way to actually know what games existed, was to check in from time to time to see which games the store had.

One of the things that made the technology feel unreal was the fact that you could use a gun and point it at your TV and kill ducks. 



Duck Hunt was the game that I used the pistol for. And it was science fiction, in my home!



Then the new times came. A new generation of consols. Nintendo 64! The thing stuck in my mind at the time was the fact that it was 64 bit, not 32 like the Play Station. And it was all about the Play Station vs Nintendo 64 at that time.

The controller was really unique for the Nintendo 64, I could not handle a Play Station controller at all, even for the easiest of games. Which made me be even more pro-Nintendo.


The Goldeneye 64 was, is and will always be legendary. It was something brand new. I had just seen the movie Goldeneye and I was not the best at the english language. Soooo I played the game, just managing to complete the different missions by following the memory I had from the movie. 

After a few years noone would ever play me in that multiplayer anymore. Luckily for me there was a new game being released. It was actually a game that had a lot of bonus content that they brought in from the Goldeneye 64. But this was Perfect Dark, a game that took everything that was Goldeneye and took it one step further. 
Into the world of science fiction, even more than James Bond with Qs crazy gadgets.

And lets just wait a second. What about The Legend of Zelda! Oh man. I had never really been into the entire Zelda before the Nintendo 64 came out with Ocarina of Time. 
It was christmas eve and I can feel the room where we sat, hear the music from Kokiri Forest playing while Link runs around gathering rupees.

Then there was Wii and in between a whole lot of handheld devices. But that is another story and not my Nintendo memories

No comments:

Post a Comment