Thursday, October 29, 2015

Betting on sports

Betting on sports = making sports more intresting


I have started to follow the English Premier League again. Obviously there has been a summer vacation for the players etc but I did not activate my TV-channels until quite recently. Lack of time has kept me from feeling relaxed enough to just sit down and enjoy a game of soccer.
Now though the channels are active and I am all over the podcasts discussing what is happening on and off the pitch.

Another thing that really makes the games more intresting is placing a bet on them. It is soo much more fun to watch a game. More adrenalin pumping when you have a small bet on the result. It does not even have to be a big one.
I am not really familiar with the way you usually bet in the U.S or elsewhere. But in Sweden we have the most classic bet where you bet on 13 english matches. Premier league and championship mostly but I think that there are sometimes games from lower divisions as well.

Anyway. So I have started to get intrested in that way of betting again. It is not easy to find the winner in 13 games at once. If it would have been a regular bet with 13 games that had to be correct we all know that it was doomed. 
However I have a few games where I can go with 2 different results and I can even choose all three, 1X2. But then I would have to pay for that as well though. So to be able to win, if you suck. You have to pay more money to get a few extra options.

It is one thing betting on the Premier League. I know what those teams are all about and I could probably guess who will win 9 times out of 10. But there are no guarentees in this league though. The teams behind the top four are rich and have gotten really good players as well. Which means that if the top teams don't play at the top of their game there might be an upset.

And honestly. The big difference is in many ways the reserves. During a long season you will have injuries. The bigger clubs have great players as substitutes as well as in the starting eleven. The teams that are not as rich are not having as many options on each position. So over the season they will probably lose players to injuries and bans that they can't really replace and the levels of their performance will drop.

When it comes to the Championship though. There are so many teams. And some that I have barely even heard of. Most of them is familiar to me from Football Manager over the years. But that does not really give me an idea of how good they are in real life and in year 2015. Charlton for example. They were in the Premier League when I started to watch it. Now they are closer to being relegated from the Championship than they are to promotion to the Premier League.

Many of my "safety options" (can't come up with a better term for choosing two different outcomes, X2 or 1X etc) when I place my bets are basically used to cover for my lack of knowledge about the teams. Sure, one team can be in the top of the table. But what do I know, they might have 5 injuries and 3 bans at the moment. I would have no idea. 
That makes my life as a betting man tough. 

When it comes to the Premier League I would know that since I listen to several different sources of news surrounding the league.

If I continue to do this betting thing on a weekly basis I might as well put up my bets here just in case anyone is intrested. It is always a good idea to see what information other people have found regarding each game. Are there injuries? Any big games coming up making the team playing with a less strong starting eleven?

The example this week is Arsenal. I think they have a few injuries or bans. And at the same time they are about to play FC Bayern soon which means they might want to save some players for that big and important game.
If I was not just tricked by the podcast I am listening to, Swansea won both games last year. That means that Swansea will come in full of confidence and some of the Arsenal players might still remember those games and play less confident.

I did not know this when I placed my bet though. I wish I had those facts when I did. I would definitely have considered that Swansea might win or at least get a X.

No comments:

Post a Comment